Augmented Marketing: 10 ideas beyond reality
2009 has been abuzz with Augmented Reality, and what was once novelty is now on the verge of becoming a fad, a “Me Too” marketing strategy. As i still think there’s a lot of bright people researching new ways of interaction, here’s a short selection of videos collected in the last few months, featuring the best augmented reality examples used for marketing purposes.
One of the first AR examples used in advertising, by Mini.
Papervision meets FLARToolKit for a digital hologram of GE’s Smart Grid technology. Developed by North Kingdom.
Wear Your World
The Fluid Interfaces group from MIT showcased their work on a recent TED Talk, with Pattie Maes demoing the sixth sense, a step towards the ubiquitous computing vision of Mark Weiser.
Topps 3-D Live cards
One of the quickest ways for AR reaching a mainstream audience is definitely sports. With Topps 3-D Live cards by T-Immersion, you can bring life to players, with the help of a webcam.
The iPhone might get all the buzz, but one of the promising AR integrations is on Google’s Android, with Wikitude, a mobile travel guide based on location-based Wikipedia and Qype content.
Augmented Reality Geocaching
Dynamic Wine Labels
Augmented Reality Tamagotchi Maid
A virtual toy, with their 64 page instructional manual, with all the Japanese idiosyncrasy, developed by Geisha Tokyo Entertainment.
For related information, check out this great resources:
- Johnny Holland, about the interaction between people and products, systems or processes.
- New Ways Of Interaction, a Vimeo video channel.
- DigitalExperience.dk, where Jonas Petersen writes about innovative uses of new technology in an experience-oriented context.
- Augmented Times, true believers of AR as vision of the future
- One of the main AR development companies, Metaio,
- More great demos by Total Immersion
- Curious Raven, Neogence’s CEO blog, a company working on Augmented Reality Gaming
- And you can start building most of this stuff with Flash using Papervision and FlarToolkit